April 15, 2013 by badacademic2
- Was this an asshole professor? Or adjunct fed up with academia?
- What did this TA do that was so bad?
- Was this really the worst TA ever? I mean could ze have been if ze had favorable evals?
- Because even if they were favorable in the “Awesome TA! I never did my homework and still passed! Didn’t care that I slept in class, etc” variety, that is more unfavorable re: TA than favorable.
- Did this professor/person in power, etc. have a personal grudge? Was their ego bruised? I really want to know their perspective.
- Because without it, just reading the postcard, my thoughts are only: What an asshole move.
- Wait, actually scratch that. Even if they were really the worst TA ever, it’s an asshole move. Because if there is a problem with the student, you should a) speak with them and address it constructively. b) if no progress, speak with their supervisor open and honestly.
- But that is what is often missing from academia, speaking honestly and addressing things in a mature manner.